Only a few minutes ago one of CNN’s political commentators, Van Jones, showed his geek cred in his analysis of the current Republican primary race. Jones was recently made news when he and Donald Trump supporter Jeffrey Lord got into it quite vigorously over Trump’s non-denouncing of former Klu Klux Klan leader David Duke. It was one of the more heated exchanges we’ve seen during a very unique presidential race.
This evening, Jones was asked about the Republican’s reluctance to go after Trump early on in the race and if the intense focus now on the businessman turned politician was too late. Jones replied by referencing a Marvel Comics character, a regular X-Men villain Sebastian Shaw of the Hellfire Club. He explained that Shaw had an interesting power where the more you hit him the stronger he got. He said he believed that the Republican party looked at Trump like Shaw and were afraid that attacks against him would only make him stronger. But now that the time is running out they have no choice.
Now I’m guessing that Jones is a comic reader and not just a fan of the X-Men franchise of films where Shaw appeared in X-Men: First Class as played by Kevin Bacon. Had Jones referred to Shaw as an X-Men villain, which is the main group he’s gone against, then it would be more vague… but calling him a Marvel Comics character makes it seem like he’s familiar with the mutant from the comics.
Either way, Jones’s description of Shaw’s powers was accurate and used well in his analysis. Though Anderson Cooper was a little thrown off by the comic book reference. Maybe Jones can recommend some trades to the popular host.
- Marvel’s Luke Cage Season 1, Episode 6 Recap: Suckas Need Bodyguards - June 17, 2018
- Stephen Amell Tells Arrow Writers to Write Like There’s No Tomorrow - June 17, 2018
- Exclusive: First Look at Martin Morazzo’s Cover for She Could Fly #3 - June 17, 2018
- Seth MacFarlane is Embarrassed to Work for Fox After Tucker Carlson Comment - June 17, 2018
- Jack Ryan Co-Creator Carlton Cuse Calls the Deep State Theory “Ridiculous” - June 17, 2018