For the first time in Germany – indeed, across Europe – a museum is devoting an entire exhibition to LGBTQ comic book characters and stories.
The SuperQueeroes exhibition at the Schwules Museum in Berlin focuses on “heroes & heroines,” covering not only superheroes but more slice-of-life comics books from the smaller press.
A special section is reserved for the topic of AIDS, ranging from the eighties’ Condom Man to the modern day Stigma Fighters.
And out creators are celebrated, including Tom of Finland, Alison Bechdel, Ralf König, Wolfgang Müller, Gengoroh Tagameh, Nazario, Howard Cruse, Megan Rose Gedris, Erika Moen and Kylie Summer Wu.
The curators are Michael Bregel, Kevin Clarke, Natasha Gross, Hannes Hacke, Justin Hall, Markus Pfalzgraf, Mario Russo, with research assistant: Maria Genz. The poster designed by Swen Marcel and the exhibition designed by Matthias Panitz.
Upcoming programming includes
1st April, 10 am – 2 pm – Masken, Glitzer, Kryptonit – With a pen and fantasy for a better world
14 April, 7 pm – “Yuri, Girls‘ Love, Shoujo Ai?! Do we have lesbian manga?” with Dr. Verena Maser
14 May, 7 pm – Ach, so ist das?! Reading with Martina Schradi
- What if Star Trek: The Next Generation Did Their Version of Star Trek: Discovery? #WonderCon - March 24, 2018
- Wonder Woman Leads Justice League Dark and Darkseid Joins Justice League Odyssey, Announced at #WonderCon - March 24, 2018
- DC Comics Launches Titans and New Titans to Replace Teen Titans at #WonderCon 2018 - March 24, 2018
- Scott Snyder Brings Super Friends’ Hall of Justice and Legion of Doom to Justice League [#WonderCon] - March 24, 2018
- Cinebook to Publish New Valerian and Laureline Comics in English - March 24, 2018