For the first time in Germany – indeed, across Europe – a museum is devoting an entire exhibition to LGBTQ comic book characters and stories.
The SuperQueeroes exhibition at the Schwules Museum in Berlin focuses on “heroes & heroines,” covering not only superheroes but more slice-of-life comics books from the smaller press.
A special section is reserved for the topic of AIDS, ranging from the eighties’ Condom Man to the modern day Stigma Fighters.
And out creators are celebrated, including Tom of Finland, Alison Bechdel, Ralf König, Wolfgang Müller, Gengoroh Tagameh, Nazario, Howard Cruse, Megan Rose Gedris, Erika Moen and Kylie Summer Wu.
The curators are Michael Bregel, Kevin Clarke, Natasha Gross, Hannes Hacke, Justin Hall, Markus Pfalzgraf, Mario Russo, with research assistant: Maria Genz. The poster designed by Swen Marcel and the exhibition designed by Matthias Panitz.
Upcoming programming includes
1st April, 10 am – 2 pm – Masken, Glitzer, Kryptonit – With a pen and fantasy for a better world
14 April, 7 pm – “Yuri, Girls‘ Love, Shoujo Ai?! Do we have lesbian manga?” with Dr. Verena Maser
14 May, 7 pm – Ach, so ist das?! Reading with Martina Schradi
- Warning – Doomsday Clock #1 Press Embargoes Lift In Five Hours - November 19, 2017
- Caster, A New Comic (And More) From Common And Jason Masters - November 19, 2017
- Cartoonist Imprisoned In Equatorial Guinea For Two Months Now - November 19, 2017
- Line Webtoon Launches Cursed, Rob, And Firebrand Season 2 From John Barrowman, Tommy Lee Edwards, Claudia Aguirre, Erika Lewis, And More - November 19, 2017
- London’s Westminster Reference Library To Celebrate The Great And The Gagged - November 19, 2017