Marvel has announced that Ryan Coogler (Creed, Fruitvale Station) has signed on to direct The Black Panther. The film is slated to be in theaters February 16th, 2018 and start Chadwick Boseman. The character will appear later this year for the first time in Captain America: Civil War.
Here is the official announcement from Marvel:
It’s official, Marvelites: Ryan Coogler will step up to direct Marvel’s “Black Panther,” in theaters February 16, 2018!
Chadwick Boseman will star in “Black Panther” after debuting as the character in the upcoming Marvel’s “Captain America: Civil War,” in theaters May 6.
Chadwick Boseman stars as the Black Panther in Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War
“We are fortunate to have such an esteemed filmmaker join the Marvel family,” said producer Kevin Feige. “The talents Ryan showcased in his first two films easily made him our top choice to direct ‘Black Panther.’ Many fans have waited a long time to see Black Panther in his own film, and with Ryan we know we’ve found the perfect director to bring T’Challa’s story to life.”
Coogler wrote and directed his first award-winning feature film, “Fruitvale Station,” in 2013. Most recently he directed the critically-acclaimed “Creed,” which earned Sylvester Stallone a Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture.
Black Panther has been an important character in the Marvel universe for 50 years. He is the king of the technologically-advanced nation of Wakanda, and Panther has served as a member of the Avengers in addition to his many solo adventures.
- Michael Avon Oeming Draws Thor For Marvel Quickdraw - April 29, 2017
- Where Do Cheryl’s Loyalties Truly Lie On Riverdale? - April 29, 2017
- Tomb Of Baalberith – A New Horror Anthology In The Vein Of EC Horror And Tales Of The Crypt - April 29, 2017
- Jed Whedon Addresses The Fan Theory Involving Ward / Trip On Agents Of SHIELD - April 29, 2017
- Why Is Oliver Going To Lian You For Help? What Happens To Team Arrow? - April 29, 2017