Variety reports that a sequel to Rocky spin-off Creed is a certainty. MGM CEO Gary Barber told the site, “There’s no doubt that we’re making a Creed 2.”
Of course, between that declaration and the film’s eventual release are many steps, including securing director Ryan Coogler, currently in talks to direct Marvel‘s Black Panther. Additionally, a story needs to take shape, though Rocky mastermind Sylvester Stallone was happy to share some of the ideas he said he and Coogler have already discussed.
“Ryan has some ideas of going forward and backward and actually seeing Rocky and Apollo together,” he explained. The concept would use The Godfather Part II‘s split narrative trick to tell parallel stories of Apollo Creed as his son Adonis some thirty years apart.
The sequel could also follow the more traditional Rocky-style narrative with, as Stallone put it, having him “face a different opponent, which I would say is a more ferocious, big Russian.” He also mentions the story would also continue to feature Tessa Thompkins‘ Bianca. “The complication will come with the girl’s ambition, because she’s not Adrian,” Stallone explained. “She has places to go, things to see, the clock is running on her hearing.”
As everything is still talk, it is unclear when Creed 2 will actually arrive or what it will look like, but Stallone noted soon is better than later. Then again, being later never seemed to hurt Rocky. There was a six year gap between the original film and its first sequel and sixteen years between the fifth and sixth installments.
- Space Ghost Coast To Coast’s C. Martin Croker Dead At 54 - September 18, 2016
- Comissioner Gordon Waits For The Batman In Justice League Photo - September 18, 2016
- Coulson And Mac Get Briefed On Odd Deaths In A Clip From Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premiere - September 17, 2016
- Movies With Mikey Tackles YouTube Show Monster Factory - September 17, 2016
- Todd McFarlane Promises A Dark Spawn Movie … Again - September 16, 2016