“Molon labe” is reportedly the response of Diogenes of Sparta to Xerxes I of Persia when Xerxes demanded that the Greeks lay down their arms and surrender.
You know, like in that historically accurate documentary 300.
It basically means “come and get them”. It has been used since by gun enthusiasts, against potential threats to their ownership of guns.
And a company called Molon Labe LLC has been set up to produce gun-related goods with that phrase, which as well as images using a Spartan helmet, they also use the Punisher skull image.
Now, that particular and recognisable skull is notoriously hard to trademark.
And these kind of imagery are commonplace.
But Molon Labe LLC is now trying, trademarking this image below for “pistols and parts thereof; rifles and parts thereof; shotguns and parts thereof”.
And naturally Marvel Characters are opposing it in the trademark court. While it may be hard for Marvel to trademark the skull image themselves, they’ll be damned if some other company will be able to take it from them.
“Molon labe” as Marvel might say…
- Bleeding Cool Brings You Batman’s Penis In All Its Batglory From Batman: Damned #1 - September 19, 2018
- Daily LITG – 19th September 2018 – Toad From Mario Kart, Batman and His Dick - September 19, 2018
- A New Avengers #1 in IDW Full December 2018 Solicitations - September 19, 2018
- Esad Ribic’s Conan Covers Next Week’s Diamond Previews - September 19, 2018
- Dark Horse Comics Full December 2018 Solicitations – Laguardia #1 by Nnedi Okorafor and Tana Ford - September 19, 2018