It’s no shock why I wanted to attend the Comic Creators Consuming Coffee: Where Food & Comics Collide panel…because coffee is my drug of choice of course! This panel consisted of C.B. Cebulski (Sr VP at Marvel, prolific Eataku blogger,) Amy Chu (Poison Ivy editor, editor of the food comics anthology), wine & spirits expert Steve Orlando (writer Midnighter, Justice League), Justin Jordan (Green Lantern, Strange Talent of Luthor Strode), chef turned writer Regine Sawyer (Women in Comics), artist Ryan Dunlavey (Action Philosophers, Dirt Candy) and Grady Hendrix, coauthor of the Dirt Candy graphic novel cookbook. Besides the great panelists, they also gave out Death Wish Coffee. Definitely an intriguing name for a coffee company, huh?
The panel began with a lively discussion about the importance of coffee in our daily lives. (You know, us addicts.) The panel shared their coffee product of choice, which ranged from espresso, cold brew, and nespresso machines. There was even a discussion about coffee being injected into us “bane style” someday.
I thought it was interesting that when the discussion turned to comics that everyone reads, a lot of the panel shared that when you’re creating comics you actually don’t have a lot of time to read comics. However, I will say that a few of them gave a shout out to Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. If you know me at all, you’ll know that I agree. Everyone should be reading Saga.
A highlight of the panel was Amy Chu talking about her upcoming food and comics anthology. She described it as:
“Basically a bunch of recipes and stories revolving around food. People are going to have fun with it.”
The conversation ranged from food books, to rejection letters. It was nice to hear the different perspectives, but the panel agreed to keep moving forward. Also, it was difficult to hide my stomach growling as everyone talked about their favorite foods. Overall, the panel gave a nice look into the writing life, the creative process, and a mutual love for food.
- The Retro 90s Style We Loved In Pokemon TCG Is Back! - November 12, 2016
- #OddlyCrypticTweets Purpose Revealed! A Chat With Otis Frampton About The Future Of Oddly Normal - November 12, 2016
- A Deep Conversation About Storytelling: BOOM! Studios Discovering New Worlds At NYCC 16′ - October 8, 2016
- “SCOTT SNYDER LIKES MY BOOK!” The Image Comics Storytelling Panel NYCC 16’ - October 8, 2016
- “You Learn A Lot From Reading” Be Your Own Superhero: Intersectional Feminism In Comics At NYCC 16′ - October 8, 2016