In October, Marvel Comics is running a “What If” five weekly event title.
What If Avengers #1 by Joshua Williamson and Mike Norton is being renamed What If X-Men #1 instead. The solicit still reads,
What if the AVENGERS lost the war?
• Years after the fall of Earth, CANNONBALL leads a small team of surviving mutants in the deepest parts of space looking for shelter. Eventually they meet up with a few surviving Avengers who had go to great and scary lengths to survive…
But Cannonball used to be a New Mutant/X-Man, as did Sunspot who used to be on the cover, though they have both recently appeared in Jonathan Hickman‘s Avengers titles.
In a Marvel.com interview, Williamson talked about the Avengers issue saying “This story actually centers on some remaining X-Men members who were evacuated [from] Earth after the Avengers lost. Earth is gone. As far as they know, they are not just the last mutants alive: They’re the last remnants of Earth. They have been flying around space trying to survive and find anyone who might have made it out of the war alive, and they’ve been doing it a long time.”
Did someone somewhere just say “we’re making this too obvious, pull back, okay?”
- Chuck Dixon’s Batman Knightfall Recut Continues for 25th Anniversary - March 20, 2018
- The Actual Marvel Comics Solicits for June 2018 - March 20, 2018
- The Batman Who Laughs Will Survive Dark Nights: Metal… - March 20, 2018
- Ready Player One Is Both a Celebration of and a Heady Critique on the Shallowness of Pop Culture - March 20, 2018
- Frankensteining Marvel Comics June 2018 Solicitations - March 20, 2018