As Star Wars: The Force Awakens becomes part of the daily menu of film news, Empire offers a few tidbits from their upcoming issue and interview with director J.J. Abrams concerning the identity of the film’s apparent Dark Side baddie played by Adam Driver and the Imperial-looking army backing him.
First, as many have assumed, Ren is not a Sith. According to the director, “He works under Supreme Leader Snoke, who is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force.” Snoke is the character played by Andy Serkis and I can’t help but notice Abrams doesn’t refer to him as a Sith, either.
Meanwhile, the First Order, for all its Imperial design choices, is not exactly the last gasp of the Empire. “That all came out of conversations about what would have happened if the Nazis all went to Argentina but then started working together again?” Abrams explained. “Could The First Order exist as a group that actually admired The Empire? Could the work of The Empire be seen as unfulfilled? And could Vader be a martyr? Could there be a need to see through what didn’t get done?”
Which I suppose begs the question, “What didn’t the Empire get done?” Perhaps some of these answers will arrive with Star Wars: The Force Awakens on December 18th.
- Space Ghost Coast To Coast’s C. Martin Croker Dead At 54 - September 18, 2016
- Comissioner Gordon Waits For The Batman In Justice League Photo - September 18, 2016
- Coulson And Mac Get Briefed On Odd Deaths In A Clip From Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premiere - September 17, 2016
- Movies With Mikey Tackles YouTube Show Monster Factory - September 17, 2016
- Todd McFarlane Promises A Dark Spawn Movie … Again - September 16, 2016