In last year’s Eltingville Club #1 by Evan Dorkin, a two part conclusion to his scabrous condemnation of comic book fan culture, he gave us the last days of the store our four lead fanboys frequented. And demonstrated exactly why there were no fangirls there.
The second issue, published this month, sees the boys all grown up, and meeting at San Diego Comic Con. I mean, I say all grown up. Their attitude to woman hasn’t exactly grown up with them. Especially when there is cosplay involved…
Note that only three of them are doing the mocking. One of them, Jerry the fantasy guy, might have actually matured to the degree that has a girlfriend. Unfortunately…
…and they still aren’t.
And there’s probably a reason for that.
I bet Bill didn’t vote for Ms Marvel‘s winning place at the Hugo’s at the weekend.
This is just one of the more resonant, topical and telling moments of the very-final, that’s-it-forever, honest-to-goodness-Evan-means-it-this-time story of the Eltingville Club – and they do get their just desserts.
But it’s okay, there is a degree of detachment when reading this comic, it is about them, it’s not about you, you can laugh at it, because it’s everybody else, but never you, it’s…
The Eltingville Club #2 by Evan Dorkin is published by Dark Horse Comics. Issue 1 will be somewhere, bagged and boarded in a longbox.
- Ron Lim to Join Tini Howard and Chris Sprouse on Captain America Annual #1 - August 16, 2018
- Did You Remember the Town of Lago from Astonishing X-Men Annual #1? - August 16, 2018
- Keith Allen Begins Rehearsals for Hogarth Double Bill Stage Play in Kingston - August 16, 2018
- Uber: Invasion and Cinema Purgatorio in Avatar Press November 2018 Solicits - August 16, 2018
- Matt Brady Returns to Comics, and Somehow Bleeding Cool Has the Scoop - August 16, 2018