Of late though, that seems to be changing. Heads of major platforms like Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida and Xbox’s Phil Spencer clearly care deeply for the medium. They came up through the ranks surrounded by games and learnt what they know from the industry. It has created a culture where it feels like these businesses want good games, not just good profits at any cost. It makes for a much healthier industry.
Spencer agrees too. Speaking on Twitter, when talking to a fan who commended him and Yoshida, he tweeted:
— Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) July 4, 2015
This understanding of market and audience seems much more valuable than business know how. It allows companies to make long term decisions that help the entire industry and not just personal short term profit gains.
I hope Yoshida and Spencer stay where they are for a long time.
- It Looks Like Anthem is Getting a Livestream on Halloween - October 23, 2018
- Fortnite’s Save the World Mode is Not Going to Free-to-Play This Year - October 22, 2018
- Nike has Endorsed its First Esports Player - October 22, 2018
- Conan Exiles and Halo Wars 2 are Free to Play This Weekend on Xbox Live - October 19, 2018
- Hitman is Getting a Halloween Event Today - October 19, 2018