Of late though, that seems to be changing. Heads of major platforms like Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida and Xbox’s Phil Spencer clearly care deeply for the medium. They came up through the ranks surrounded by games and learnt what they know from the industry. It has created a culture where it feels like these businesses want good games, not just good profits at any cost. It makes for a much healthier industry.
Spencer agrees too. Speaking on Twitter, when talking to a fan who commended him and Yoshida, he tweeted:
— Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) July 4, 2015
This understanding of market and audience seems much more valuable than business know how. It allows companies to make long term decisions that help the entire industry and not just personal short term profit gains.
I hope Yoshida and Spencer stay where they are for a long time.
- Codemaster Announces Crash-Happy Racing Game ‘Onrush’ - February 21, 2018
- Burnout Paradise Remastered Won’t Have Microtransactions - February 21, 2018
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is Moving to Ping-Based Matchmaking While Plane Drop Mechanics are Changing - February 20, 2018
- Metal Gear Survive Gets a Hyperactive Trailer Preparing for This Week’s Launch - February 20, 2018
- Rainbow Six Siege Operation Chimera Is Now Live on Test Servers - February 20, 2018