Of late though, that seems to be changing. Heads of major platforms like Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida and Xbox’s Phil Spencer clearly care deeply for the medium. They came up through the ranks surrounded by games and learnt what they know from the industry. It has created a culture where it feels like these businesses want good games, not just good profits at any cost. It makes for a much healthier industry.
Spencer agrees too. Speaking on Twitter, when talking to a fan who commended him and Yoshida, he tweeted:
— Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) July 4, 2015
This understanding of market and audience seems much more valuable than business know how. It allows companies to make long term decisions that help the entire industry and not just personal short term profit gains.
I hope Yoshida and Spencer stay where they are for a long time.
- Dragon Ball FighterZ is Coming to Nintendo Switch This September - June 21, 2018
- Gears 5 Won’t go Back to ‘Gears of War 5’ Title - June 21, 2018
- Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Coming to Xbox One Next Month - June 21, 2018
- Quake Champions Extends its Free-to-Play Period Another Week - June 19, 2018
- Epic Games Removing Exploit that Allowed Players to Unintentionally Create a Swastika - June 19, 2018