In the current Secret Wars event, the Doctor Strange of the Marvel Universe has become Sheriff Strange, Doom’s right hand man, keeping the Battleworld in order. But afterwards?
Entertainment Weekly has been given news and pictures by Marvel PR of a new Doctor Strange series by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo to launch in October.
“This is a Doctor Strange who is going to get hurt real bad, real quick. And who is also going to make you feel things,” Marvel editor Nick Lowe explained to EW. “And not just think things, but feel things… hopefully a little bit of both.”
With Aaron saying,
We wanted a Doctor Strange who was always having to work for what he gets, and to show that when he shows up and uses his powers, it’s not like Captain America throwing his shield or Thor throwing his hammer. Strange has to worry about repercussions that those other heroes don’t have to worry about, because he’s a Sorcerer Supreme. We’re talking about the forces of magic. So whatever he does has repressions. Any of this stuff with magic, there’s always a cost to it. I think that’s kind of the only rule of magic we ever really talk about—everything he does, there’s a price to it. So he always has to kind of balance those skills and worry, “if I save the day here, what repercussions will that have for me, or elsewhere in the world? We liked him having to deal with that, and liked him being able to get his hands a little dirty, rather than just having him stand around, waving his hands and saving the day.
Marvel editors have talked about many a Doctor Strange pitch over recent years, but with the movie in the offing starring Benedict Cumberbatch, now would be the time to get it right….
- Supergirl Season 4 to Debut TV’s First Transgender Superhero, Dreamer - July 21, 2018
- Preview: Shuri #1 from Marvel’s Next Big Thing Panel at SDCC - July 21, 2018
- The New Fantastic Four Big Bad Is… The Griever - July 21, 2018
- ComicsPRO Retailers React to Batman #50 Returnability - July 21, 2018
- Seth MacFarlane and Brannon Braga Making Books of Blood, a Clive Barker Horror Anthology TV Series for Hulu - July 21, 2018