Ashley Witter has become one of the brightest new stars on the comic book firmament, with her detailed painted work on Squarriors, now for Devil’s Due/1First Comics.
But she didn’t come to the comic fully formed. Before the gorgeous drop dead work on Squarriors, in 2007 she put out a webcomic called Scorch. And Scorch is now being kickstarted as a way to fund and preorder a printed collection.
SCORCH (written & drawn by Ashley Witter) is the trials and tribulation of an immortal demon living as a human teenage girl called Scorch residing in suburban America. An immortal demon living on Earth? How? Scorch made a deal with a more powerful demon to get where she is. He now lives in her closet as a monster to keep tabs on her to make sure she pays of her debt to him: 10,000 SOULS, plus an exponentially growing interest. Not only is she paying off this large debt, Scorch sets out to discover her true past, prevent the end of the world, and just pass the 10th grade.
Rather than the detailed digitally painted version, Scorch is line-work, fast and furious with a manga sensibility, but there are definite signs of Ashley’s obsession with detail coming through.
- Firefly #1 from Boom! Studios Gets a Big Box Variant - August 20, 2018
- Declan Shalvey Takes Over Return of Wolverine from Steve McNiven, Designs a New Costume - August 20, 2018
- Can You Ghostwrite a Light-Hearted Book About Plane Hijacking and Being a Refugee? - August 20, 2018
- Blackbird by Sam Humphries and Jen Bartel Ties Returnability to The Wicked + The Divine - August 20, 2018
- Frankensteining Marvel Comics November 2018 Solicitations - August 20, 2018