Ashley Witter has become one of the brightest new stars on the comic book firmament, with her detailed painted work on Squarriors, now for Devil’s Due/1First Comics.
But she didn’t come to the comic fully formed. Before the gorgeous drop dead work on Squarriors, in 2007 she put out a webcomic called Scorch. And Scorch is now being kickstarted as a way to fund and preorder a printed collection.
SCORCH (written & drawn by Ashley Witter) is the trials and tribulation of an immortal demon living as a human teenage girl called Scorch residing in suburban America. An immortal demon living on Earth? How? Scorch made a deal with a more powerful demon to get where she is. He now lives in her closet as a monster to keep tabs on her to make sure she pays of her debt to him: 10,000 SOULS, plus an exponentially growing interest. Not only is she paying off this large debt, Scorch sets out to discover her true past, prevent the end of the world, and just pass the 10th grade.
Rather than the detailed digitally painted version, Scorch is line-work, fast and furious with a manga sensibility, but there are definite signs of Ashley’s obsession with detail coming through.
- Frankensteining DC Comics Solicits for May 2018 - February 18, 2018
- Frankensteining Marvel May 2018 Solicitations - February 18, 2018
- Lying in the Gutters – 18th February 2018 – Everyone’s Talking About Poison Ivy - February 18, 2018
- Reports of Drink Spiking After Katsucon this Weekend - February 18, 2018
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List, 18th February 2018, “Surprised How Many Passed On Star Wars: Thrawn“ - February 18, 2018