From Brandon Gerson Of Nerdy Show, for Bleeding Cool,
The trailer’s awkwardly-translated narration features lines such as, “Long ago we looked upon a foreboding sky. The memory of the star that threatened all burns eternally in our hearts.” This clearly refers to the final series of events in FF7 when Sephiroth summons a giant meteor to destroy the world – it’s past tense. What’s more, they show and discuss events from the sequel film, Advent Children: “in its wake came an age of silence,” clearly referring to kids being infected with Geostigma.
“Someday we will see them again… After the long calm there is now the beginnings of a stir.” These lines could easily imply the game features sequel content following Advent Children. During the final shot, we see Barrett and Cloud walking through the streets and the narrator proclaims, “They are coming back – at last the promise has been made.” If it wasn’t for the word “Remake” thrown up at the end of the trailer I’d have figured this for a sequel.
Don’t get be wrong. I really want a remake to FFVII. Their sequel track record isn’t so great. But the narration… it just doesn’t sit right. Only other answer I have is that the narrator is speaking from a point in future, looking back on the events of the FFVII chronology. With lines like, “The promise has been made, and they are coming back” he’s breaking the 4th wall too – talking directly to the audience. If the game uses a narrative device like that, what does it mean for the Final Fantasy VII experience? Will it flow differently? Will it go beyond the events of the original game? Only time will tell – maybe at tomorrow’s Square-Enix panel.
- Sam and Twitch Get a New Comic, True Detectives, at #ImageExpo - February 21, 2018
- Confirmed: Image Comics Will Publish All the Millarworld Netflix Comics Too - February 21, 2018
- Gerry Duggan and John McCrea’s Dead Rabbit from #ImageExpo - February 21, 2018
- Mirka Andolfo’s Contro Natura, Translated as Unnatural, Announced at #ImageExpo - February 21, 2018
- Christopher Sebela and Josh Hicks Pressganged Into Bringing Shanghai Red to #ImageExpo - February 21, 2018