At SDCC last year there were buses with ads for Emerald City, a new series from NBC. But before an episode even aired, the plug was pulled by the network. But the series based on L. Frank Baum’s Land of Oz book is not dead… it got a new writer / executive producer in David Schulner and added Shaun Cassidy as another EP.
Now Deadline is reporting that the lead character of Dorothy Gale has been cast. The part has gone to Adria Arjona. The Puerto Rico-born actress has recurring roles on CBS’s Person of Interest and HBO’s True Detective and is now getting her first series lead in the 10-episode straight-to-series project.
In Emerald City, in the blink of a tornado’s eye, 20-year-old Dorothy Gale (Arjona) and her K9 police dog are transported to another world, one far removed from our own — a mystical land of competing kingdoms, lethal warriors, dark magic and a bloody battle for supremacy. This is the fabled Land of Oz in a way you’ve never seen before, where wicked witches don’t stay dead for long and a young girl becomes a headstrong warrior who holds the fate of kingdoms in her hands.
It has been described as a modern and dark reimagining of the classic tale in the vein of Game Of Thrones, using Baum’s original 14 books as inspiration. Look for the series to make it’s debut in 2016.
- Agents of SHIELD Season 5, Episode 22 Recap: The End - May 19, 2018
- HBO Chooses the Cleveland Browns for the New Season of Hard Knocks - May 18, 2018
- Krypton Season 1: Decrypting Episode 9, ‘Hope’ - May 18, 2018
- Supergirl Season 3: Who is Coville’s Cult Worshiping Now? - May 18, 2018
- Agents of SHIELD Season 5: 2 Sneak Peeks at Tonight’s Season Finale - May 18, 2018