Because I was a slacker and missed last month’s issue of Munchkin, I was really excited to read the new issue this month and get my guaranteed dose of laughter. Munchkin #5 from BOOM! Box, an imprint of BOOM! Studios, features two stories this month: 12 Munchkies, written by Tom Siddell, with art by Ian McGinty, and Chick-On-Head, written by Shannon Campbell, with art by Rian Sygh.
12 Munchkies is the longer, main story of the issue. The plot deals with a lot of time travel, as everyone lives underground. The government decides to send someone back in time to deal with past mistakes, and boy is it an entertaining journey to watch. I’ve said it before, it’s the small details that make Munchkin such an enjoyable read, and with this particular story the cameos and nods to pop culture things definitely brought a smile to my face. Chick-On-Head is the lighter tale of the two, and deals with a young man who is cursed to have a chicken on his head. The chicken tells him that he will be led to riches and glory if he does what he’s told. The result is a series of hilarious moments of chaos.
As a side note, I did very much appreciate the mention at the end where the game cards are located. “This is a marketing ploy,” is written next to the cards, and I applaud the creative teams honesty. I have played Munchkin before, and I enjoy it very much. Getting the cards is a definite incentive for purchasing the comic. How many of you have incorporated the new cards into your gameplay? Send me a tweet @AWritersWay to share your experience, and be sure to pick up the new issue of Munchkin at your local comic book store this week.
Christine Marie is a Staff Writer at Bleeding Cool, and bibliomaniac with a love for all things creative. She hopes to one day be a Superhero/Disney Princess/Novelist. You can find her on Twitter and Instagram @AWritersWay or on her blog writerchristinemarie.wordpress.com.
- The Retro 90s Style We Loved In Pokemon TCG Is Back! - November 12, 2016
- #OddlyCrypticTweets Purpose Revealed! A Chat With Otis Frampton About The Future Of Oddly Normal - November 12, 2016
- A Deep Conversation About Storytelling: BOOM! Studios Discovering New Worlds At NYCC 16′ - October 8, 2016
- “SCOTT SNYDER LIKES MY BOOK!” The Image Comics Storytelling Panel NYCC 16’ - October 8, 2016
- “You Learn A Lot From Reading” Be Your Own Superhero: Intersectional Feminism In Comics At NYCC 16′ - October 8, 2016