Heavy Metal brings us two “firsts” this week: this is the first time they’ve attended ComicsPRO and also the first time they’ve had a Jack Kirby cover for the magazine.
Here’s a look at that special ComicsPRO exclusive variant cover they’re debuting this week:
In keeping with the momentousness of these “firsts”, the magazine is launching the new story The 49th Key from YA novelist turned comics writer Erika Lewis and artists J.K. Woodward, and Ken Meyer Jr.
The 49th Key is described thus:
It is said that in sixteenth century England, forty-eight keys were passed between worlds, containing messages of community, compassion and forgiveness, with the firm belief these messages had been spoken by angels, praying for humanity to evolve into something more benevolent and just. Lifetimes later, there are still rumors of a final message, foretold to open the gates of wisdom and understanding…
In the present day, when a new administrator at an expensive private school threatens to send away a lost, orphaned boy believed to be autistic and mute, his doctor turns to the only person she can find with a connection to the boy.
This leads the three of them on a dangerous journey through England to bring him home. Along the way, they discover is that this boy is The Forty-Ninth Key, the very key to open the doorway between our world and Enochia.
Heavy Metal have kindly provided us with a preview of The 49th Key:
- Giant Robots, Ninja Turtles, Monster Motors And More – Talking With Nick Roche - October 26, 2015
- Processing The Troop: Behind The Page With Joshua Cassara - October 26, 2015
- What Bengal Wants: More Wolverine Covers & Work With Rick Remender - October 23, 2015
- A Story That Keeps You Coming Back For More – We Stand On Guard So Far (#1-4) - October 23, 2015
- ‘Let’s Start A System Where The Creators Get Most Of The Money’ – David Lloyd Talks ACES Weekly - October 23, 2015