By Patrick Dane
I’ve played a fair bit of Evolve now, having spent time with the game at several expos and during the beta a few months ago. So far, I’ve enjoyed it quite a bit.
Evolve is a 4 vs. 1 multiplayer game from the creators of Left 4 Dead, Turtle Rock Studios. One player controls a monster who is continually trying to reach its final form, while the other players try to prevent that by tracking and killing the beast. It makes for a tense dynamic as the monster tries to hide and eat until the end game, while the hunters try to finish the game as fast as possible.
It’s intended to be played online with other players, so no one was expecting an intense narrative. Monster hunters hunt monster pretty much sufficed. In this new trailer, we have been given a little more context that raises the stakes of each game.
After all that, I’d be surprised if the game gets a dedicated ‘campaign’. At most I’d guess it’ll have a few cutscenes linking online matches à la Titanfall.
I still think monster hunters hunt monster had pretty much all the incentive we needed.
(*Easter egg: If you are eagled eyed, I believe you might catch a glimpse of a previously unannounced monster at 1:54)
Patrick Dane, once a would be filmmaker, has somewhat accidentally found himself as an entertainment journalist over the past two years. You may recognize him from around these parts, or you may not. Who’s counting? From E3 to SDCC to the Top Gear track, Patrick has explored the world of entertainment wherever it has taken him. He is always happy to talk words at you. Hopefully the ones above will suffice your needs.
- Giant Robots, Ninja Turtles, Monster Motors And More – Talking With Nick Roche - October 26, 2015
- Processing The Troop: Behind The Page With Joshua Cassara - October 26, 2015
- What Bengal Wants: More Wolverine Covers & Work With Rick Remender - October 23, 2015
- A Story That Keeps You Coming Back For More – We Stand On Guard So Far (#1-4) - October 23, 2015
- ‘Let’s Start A System Where The Creators Get Most Of The Money’ – David Lloyd Talks ACES Weekly - October 23, 2015