It was a question I came across a few times after the announcement of the Black Panther movie by Marvel. What Black Panther comics to read? Marvel promoted the Reginald Hudlin run the most but some found it lacking.
Well, Amazon now has the answer, with a listing for Black Panther by Christopher Priest: The Complete Collection Volume 1.
A series of trade paperbacks with around twenty issues in each, collecting Priest’s run on the book. One of the stellar casting decisions of Jimmy Palmiotti and Joe Quesada, Priest on Black Panther was wonderful. It got a little choppy towards the end, but at the beginning with Mark Texeira, it was pure damn brilliant and worked as a perfect companion to his Quantum And Woody comic with Mark Bright (also now available in Omnibus form).
Playing with the narrative form, with a writing style that emulated the hot drama of the day, The West Wing, Priest gave us a royal leader being brought down to earth by his unfortunate associated, and a variety of events beyond the ken of man, but he always seemed to be planning one step ahead.
If the eventual movie turns out half as good, we’ll have a better film than Guardians Of The Galaxy and Winter Soldier combined.
Of course, we don’t need that film. All we need are the comics…
- No One Told JH Williams III That Promethea Was Joining the Justice League - January 18, 2018
- Cult Classic: Return to Whisper #1 from Vault Comics Gets a Surprise FOC - January 18, 2018
- Marvel Comics Created Variant of Doctor Strange: Damnation to Be More Bible-Belt-Friendly - January 18, 2018
- BLACK Gets a New Series in April as BLACK [AF] Widows - January 18, 2018
- DC Comics Fixes Justice League International Omnibus Problems (Some Of Them) With Stealth Second Printing - January 18, 2018