It was a question I came across a few times after the announcement of the Black Panther movie by Marvel. What Black Panther comics to read? Marvel promoted the Reginald Hudlin run the most but some found it lacking.
Well, Amazon now has the answer, with a listing for Black Panther by Christopher Priest: The Complete Collection Volume 1.
A series of trade paperbacks with around twenty issues in each, collecting Priest’s run on the book. One of the stellar casting decisions of Jimmy Palmiotti and Joe Quesada, Priest on Black Panther was wonderful. It got a little choppy towards the end, but at the beginning with Mark Texeira, it was pure damn brilliant and worked as a perfect companion to his Quantum And Woody comic with Mark Bright (also now available in Omnibus form).
Playing with the narrative form, with a writing style that emulated the hot drama of the day, The West Wing, Priest gave us a royal leader being brought down to earth by his unfortunate associated, and a variety of events beyond the ken of man, but he always seemed to be planning one step ahead.
If the eventual movie turns out half as good, we’ll have a better film than Guardians Of The Galaxy and Winter Soldier combined.
Of course, we don’t need that film. All we need are the comics…
- Let There Be Light? Tomorrow’s Ultimates 2 #8 Tells The Very Beginning Of The Marvel Multiverse - April 25, 2017
- A Host Of New Comics Announced At C2E2 From Lion Forge - April 25, 2017
- An Unannounced Issue Of Surgeon X To Be Digitally Published Tomorrow, By Sara Kenney And Warren Pleece - April 25, 2017
- Marvel’s Agents Of Hydra Shout Sheets For Fitz And Simmons…. It’s Not Looking Good - April 25, 2017
- How Faith And Ninjak Went To Homecoming Together – Courtesy Of David Lafuente - April 25, 2017