We mentioned Nicole Perlman as the new writer of a new Gamora comic book from Marvel, earlier today. But she’s not the only woman being tapped to work on Marvel Comics projects, currently dominated by male writers.
Two other writers with books lined up to be announced are Lumberjanes writer Noelle Stevenson and Bravest Warriors/Fraggle Rock writer Kate Leth (pictured right). It looks like Boom! Studios’ female writers could be a new R&D department for Marvel Comics to tackle their poor gendercrunching statistics.
Could we expect an announcement or surprise guests at the Women Of Marvel panel at NYCC? Doesn’t give them long to sort out the paperwork…
It’s also worth noting the appearance of Kelly Sue DeConnick and Erica Henderson at the Cup O’ Joe panel at NYCC. Could they have an announcement together as well?
Again, and this point does bear repeating, a publisher (including Bleeding Cool owner Avatar Press) that doesn’t hire, or hires few, women writers restricts the appeal of its work by not reflecting a fuller human experience in its publishing line. And if not enough well-qualified folk actively seek such work, then they should be reached out to, or headhunted. It takes an active decision to pursue such a policy but the benefits, as seen in the likes of Ms Marvel, can be very rewarding indeed.
And, yes, everyone needs a Carol Corps.
Marvel declined to respond to enquiries made yesterday.
- Knockabout To Publish Chloé Cruchaudet’s Mauvais Genre As Deserter’s Masquerade - March 23, 2017
- Image Comics Confirm April Fools Variants And Add A Few More… Gwinvincible! - March 23, 2017
- Five Graphic Novels From Caliber In June 2017 - March 23, 2017
- X-O Manowar Gets Animated In New Video Trailer - March 23, 2017
- Ruff And Ready, Recreated As Nineteen-Fifties Blue Comedians By Howard Chaykin - March 23, 2017