Spread the word: Marvel is looking for a copy of MARVELMAN #26 from1954 (the second issue) so we can include it in the reprint hardcover.
— Tom Brevoort (@TomBrevoort) June 15, 2010
Five years ago, Marvel’s Tom Brevoort was on the hunt for Marvelman #26, published in 1954, the second issue of the British Marvelman comic so they could reprint it. Previously to issue 25, the comic was called Captain Marvel, and reprinted the Fawcett comics that Marvelman would shamelessly ripoff.
Even Britain’s biggest collector of Marvelman, with 700 comics featuring the character, didn’t have this one.
Indeed, no one seemed to.
And when the Marvelman Classic Hardcover Vol 1 was published, despite the listings, it only contained Marvelman (Vol. 1, 1954) issues 25, 27-34.
But what of issue 26?
Well, this week one was put on eBay. Trading was brisk and after 26 bids, the comic that was initially listed for 99 pence soon rocked to £2605.55 and looks as if the final bid may actually have been a fair bit higher, the final minute seeing bids lifting it from £300 to almost ten times that.
Even the description was full of British understatement.
This is an original comic from around the 1950’s, published by L Miller & Son Ltd, London. There is a slight tear in the binding below the bottom staple, otherwise it is in quite good condition.
And didn’t mention its rarity. Whoever the lucky winner is could possibly sell it for even more…
- More Comics Folk Attend Anti-Trump Women’s Marches Around The World #WomensMarch - January 21, 2017
- James Hudnall Pleads For His Friends To Give Trump A Chance - January 21, 2017
- Comics Folk React To (Or Are Part Of) The Women’s Marches Against Donald Trump - January 21, 2017
- Peter Capaldi Joins The Anti-Trump Women’s March In London – Potential Spoiler For The 13th Doctor? - January 21, 2017
- Firefly Fans Represent In Anti-Trump Women’s March In Chicago… - January 21, 2017