A few months ago, we ran a number of pieces detailing the relationship between Bill Mantlo, co-creator of Rocket Raccoon and severely debilitated by a traffic accident decades ago, and Marvel Comics, then in the process of creating The Guardians Of The Galaxy.
His brother and carer Michael Mantlo told us then,
Bill was treated in an exceptionally fair manner by Marvel/Disney, and on his behalf I can say with the utmost confidence that we are very pleased with the negotiated contract. And, unbeknownst to ALL, Marvel has made incredibly generous gestures apart from this particular contract (which ONLY pertains to the rights to the character Rocket Raccoon) to assist in Bill’s ongoing care & rehabilitation.
Well, today, Marvel did a little extra for Bill. Arranging a private viewing of the film for Bill. Michael writes,
*****WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DAY FOR BILL MANTLO*****! Marvel hooked Bill up with a PRIVATE VIEWING of “Guardians Of The Galaxy”, and my wife Liz and my beloved cousin Jean assisted Bill throughout, enabling him to sit back, relax and relish in the AWESOMENESS of what is going to be, in my humble opinion, Marvel’s GREATEST AND MOST SUCCESSFUL FILM EVER! Bill thoroughly enjoyed it, giving it his HIGHEST COMPLIMENT (the BIG “THUMB’S UP!”), and when the credits rolled, his face was locked into the HUGEST SMILE I HAVE EVER SEEN HIM WEAR (along with one or two tears of joy)! This was the GREATEST DAY OF THE LAST 22 YEARS for me, our family, and most importantly, BILL MANTLO!
The gentlemen that made it possible for Bill to see his creation, ROCKET RACCOON, come alive in “Guardians Of The Galaxy”, Marvel Attorney David Althoff (far left) and Marvel VP David Bogart (center). Giving Bill this opportunity was a daunting challenge (with all the legal & security protocols that needed to be breached), but these two FINE MEN made it happen, and Bill had the HAPPIEST DAY OF HIS LIFE! I will NEVER be able to thank them enough for all that they have done for Bill!
And thank you Bill.
- Bill Mantlo - Through His Brother's Eyes
- Full Dynamite Entertainment December 2018 Solicitations Sees Vampirella Vs Reanimator and Hack/Slash Vs Chaos - September 18, 2018
- Full Image Comics December 2018 Solicitations – Spawn Kills Everyone Too, Die, Hardcore, The Freeze, Self-Made - September 18, 2018
- Nightwing May Be Losing His Dick But Batman Is Getting One - September 18, 2018
- Marvel to Adapt Avengers: Infinity War Movie Into Comic Book - September 18, 2018
- Marvel’s Infinity Wars to Go On for Infinity Issues - September 18, 2018