By Julz Hendricks
Get excited! The newest addition to the BOOM! Studios comics family is coming to us on August 6th. Steven Universe, created by Rebecca Sugar is the first Cartoon Network show created by a solo female creator.
“Steven Universe is in a league of its own,” said BOOM! Studios Editor-in-Chief Matt Gagnon. “Rebecca has put so much of herself into the show, and that passion completely translates to the screen and the page. What Jeremy and Coleman are doing to make this comic as brilliant as the show is just remarkable”, he added.
Jeremy Sorese (Adventure Time) and artist Coleman Engle (Popgun) are teaming up to bring the magic of Steven Universe to comics. Steven Universe is a story of friendship, monsters and the fact that Steven is a member of the Crystal Gems (intergalactic fighters that use magic to fend off monsters) is enough to get even big kids to pick up this comic. Looking at the covers, I can tell you that all the fantasy spirit that is put into the show is going to translate so well into the comic.
Take a look at these bad boys!
There are 4 different covers, all beautifully done. The main cover is done by Bridget Underwood. A chase cover done by Andrea Fernandez. Retail incentive cover (1:20) is by Engle. Retail incentive cover #2 (1:50) is by Matt Cummings.
Steven Universe # 1 also will give us a sneak peak into the Uncle Grandpa Comic that is due out this October. Mark your calendars! You will not want to miss a second of this comic from BOOM! Studios.
Julz Hendricks is a co-host of podcasts Panel 2 Panel, as well as the all female podcast Chickcast, She is a huge advocate of kids’ comics but reads a lot of different titles. You can find her on Twitter as @JulzHendricks.
- Giant Robots, Ninja Turtles, Monster Motors And More – Talking With Nick Roche - October 26, 2015
- Processing The Troop: Behind The Page With Joshua Cassara - October 26, 2015
- What Bengal Wants: More Wolverine Covers & Work With Rick Remender - October 23, 2015
- A Story That Keeps You Coming Back For More – We Stand On Guard So Far (#1-4) - October 23, 2015
- ‘Let’s Start A System Where The Creators Get Most Of The Money’ – David Lloyd Talks ACES Weekly - October 23, 2015