Smoking isn’t just an incidental character trait of John Constantine in his DC comics incarnation. Without spoiling anything for young readers – really, anybody can be 23 years behind publication if we’re being fair, and I’m still angry about the original Planet of the Apes‘ DVD cover – let’s just say that John’s habit is ultimately very important.
But this won’t be happening in his new NBC TV show. At least not exactly.
Neil Marshall directed the pilot and will direct more episodes of the show. He spoke to Collider a little, and broke the news that TV John isn’t a smoker.
On network it’s the one thing you can’t smoke on network. That’s one of his character traits. We’re working around that. We’re trying to get aspects of it in there as much as possible. We’ll see… the smoking is very frustrating. Who knows where it will go; where the story will go; where the character will go? There’s still lots of options.
Keanu Reeves smoked. That was cinema. In 2005. Maybe he wouldn’t today.
A few months back, David Goyer said the showmakers were “negotiating” for the smoking. The pilot had been filmed by then, though, hadn’t it?
Maybe they’ll opt for a different “change.” I suppose he might be a big drinker. Or be really into unprotected sex. Or like licking lead-painted clock faces.
Or maybe they won’t go down the same path at all. Probably the best idea right now.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014