Summit’s YA franchise Divergent just got a little more star power. THR reports Naomi Watts has joined all three final installments, Insurgent and the two-part finale, Allegiant.
Shailene Woodley, Theo James and Kate Winslet star in the films based on Veronica Roth’s bestselling teen novels, set in a dystopian futuristic Chicago. Woodley plays Tris, who uncovers a shadowy government plot to take over and control the citizens of their factioned city, led by Winslet’s intelligent and ambitious leader. Watts is signing on for the role of Evelyn, James’ character’s mother and the leader of the Factionless (basically this world’s version of homeless) who plots her own overthrow of Winslet’s forces. Octavia Spencer also signed on to the franchise recently, playing another faction leader.
Robert Schwentke took over directing duties from Neil Burger and Insurgent is now filming in Atlanta.
- Fox Cancels Ancient Egypt Drama Hieroglyph Before It Even Airs - June 30, 2014
- David S. Goyer Developing Horror Novel Snowblind As Miniseries Adaptation - June 30, 2014
- Tom Hardy Joins Leonardo Dicaprio In The Revenant - June 30, 2014
- Bill Hader And Kristen Wiig Are The Skeleton Twins In First Trailer - June 30, 2014
- First Look At Henry Cavill As Clark Kent In Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice - June 30, 2014