It was over a year ago that we first talked about this. But from Entertainment Weekly… but Marvel’s big death for the third quarter or 2014 will be Wolverine.
Marvel has been teasing a radical new development in Wolverine’s history with this summer’s story arc, “3 Months to Die,” which robs Wolverine of his healing factor, the mutant power that has kept him alive and kicking through decades of fatal injuries. Now, EW is excited to announce exclusively that “3 Months to Die” will culminate in a 4-part miniseries in September called, simply, Death of Wolverine. Written by Charles Soule and drawn by Steve McNiven, Death of Wolverine #1 hits on September 3 (that’s the cover image above.) The next three issues of the series will follow every week ensuing, climaxing with Death of Wolverine #4 on September 24.
We initially heard this came out of a Marvel editorial retreat, though intriguingly this as before Charles Soule was at Marvel…
Michael Marts, an executive editor at Marvel overseeing the project, explains that the idea to kill off one of the most iconic characters in comic books emerged out of Marvel’s semi-annual creative retreat, when Marvel writers and editors come together to discuss major projects. “For a long time, no matter who Wolverine was battling, he’s been the eternal victor,” says Marts. “He almost always comes out on top. Now he finally comes up against an adversary that he cannot win against, he cannot fight. What does that mean for this character who’s been around for hundred years?”
We understand that this will be Steve McNiven‘s final scheduled project for the Marvel Universe as he then moves over to working for Millarworld for the foreseeable, on Nemesis Returns.
- Chris Weston Appeals To McDonalds And IKEA To Withdraw Ads After Katie Hopkins’ “Final Solution” Tweet - May 23, 2017
- Frankensteining Marvel Comics Solicits For August 2017 - May 22, 2017
- Yet Another New Inhumans Title From Marvel In August 2017… - May 22, 2017
- Ultimates2 Gets Its Hundredth Issue In August 2017 – Depending On Your Mathematics - May 22, 2017
- DC Comics Solicits For August 2017 – Metal Beginnings, Bombshell, Academy And Everafter Endings - May 22, 2017