As part of the promotions for Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Marvel invited Bloomberg up to their head office. After some shenanigans with pizza-flogging cardboard cut-outs and a replica of Thor’s hammer, the reporter got to the meat. And there was a good deal of it.
According to Kevin Feige, the Marvel movieverse masterplan now runs on to 2028. Will that all be set-in stone, locked down and intractable plans? Of course not, but it will be forethought like this that allows to the studio to book actors for the right amount of movies, for example, or schedule which side character will be tested in which big movie for which possible spin-off.
Talking of which, the Bloomberg reporter also quotes Disney’s Robert Iger in saying that the studio consider spin-off movies for Star Lord, Drax, Gamora, Rocket and Groot to be real possibilities.
The idea of spinning-off is as much of the Marvel thought process as the reverse, the way they built to The Avengers. Indeed, Iger even suggested that some “heroes” in Age of Ultron could later be given their own movies.
As he wouldn’t name names I’m thinking this goes beyond Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch and into Black Panther and Captain Marvel territory.
I appreciate the thought that Marvel and Disney are giving these things. Here’s hoping they can also keep giving thought to the movies on the one-by-one basis, making all this forward planning worth everybody’s time.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014