I suppose it was inevitable. Doesn’t make it feel like anything less of an event horizon.
So. Much like hand drawn animation has been put out to pasture – or, I’d like to think, simply given a rest – Disney have decided that the next Muppets movie should be a 3D CG animation. At the moment, the film is going under the working title of Muppets Most Wanted… Again.
I guess there’s a lot of market research behind these decisions.
The good news is that Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo and Fozzie will all be back, even if they’ll simply be providing just the voices. Or, I don’t know, there might be some motion capture involved but neither Variety nor Hollywood Reporter say anything about that.
The script for the new film is only in the very earliest stages as yet but cameo appearances from Star Wars, Marvel and Tron characters are expected to factor in, perhaps aping The Lego Movie, perhaps simply using Disney’s portfolio to its best advantage. There’s a new Muppet character too – she’s called Avril and she’s a fish, though not a lot else is known about her as of today.
I’m not sure how I feel about a CG Muppet movie at all. Ah, well. It is just the first, anyway. And I won’t be able to visit the set and end up in the hospital this time because there won’t be a set.
Thanks to Rafael Vallaperde for the image at the head of the story.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014