Boom has made a bit of a habit of deconstructed takes of Big Two archetypes we all know and love. They made their first big splash in the industry with Irredeemable, which is basically “What if Superman went crazy?”. This year they published Loki: Ragnarok & Roll where Loki is kicked out of Asgard and joins a rock n’ roll band in Los Angeles. And next month sees the release of Translucid, which Bleeding Cool called out as a Boom Does Batman story. They’re hardly the first publisher to find such success. Though unlike Mark Millar, they’ve never led with “what if Batman was a cunt?”
And now, I understand, coming in June is Boom’s attempt to do “what if John Constantine was a cunt?” Or, rather, “what if John Constantine was John Constantine – and not that fellow they have masquerading in the Constantine monthly comic?”
It’s called Thomas Alsop. The title character is the latest in a long line of magicians charged with protecting the island of Manhattan from supernatural threats, but being a product of the modern era is more concerned with his own fame than fulfilling his duties.
The series, from relative newcomers Chris Miskiewicz and Palle Schmidt, is essentially punk rock Dr. Strange. Between the concept and the art, I’ll be keeping an eye out for this one this summer.
- What Makes A Hero? - May 20, 2018
- Ben Caldwell Gives Us the Prez/Infinity War Crossover Denied Us - May 20, 2018
- Super Sons to Relaunch in August with a New #1 by Peter Tomasi - May 19, 2018
- Immortal Hulk #1 Retailer Variants from Golden Apple and AOD Collectables - May 19, 2018
- Today I Came Upon Philip Zec’s Most Famous Political Cartoons - May 19, 2018