Leigh Whannell is the co-creator, co-writer and co-star of the Insidious series, penning the story lines with James Wan and playing the role of Specs, off-kilter ghost hunter.
He seems to be writing the third instalment himself, and there’s yet to be a director announced. But some progress is definitely being made, as Whannell just gave an interview to Screen Rant in which he teased a bunch of specifics.
For one thing, the new film won’t centre on “a new family” and Rose Byrne and Patrick Wilson won’t be returning. The last scene of Insidious 2, which could have been read as set up for a threequel, has nothing to do with it either.
Specs will be back, however, with his colleague Tucker by his side. A draft has been completed and, if Jason Blum’s comments to Shock Til You Drop can be believed, production will start in the summer (as will, incidentally, shooting for the Sinister sequel.)
We don’t know if it was Byrne and Wilson’s call that they won’t be coming back, but a new direction shouldn’t hurt. The most interesting thing about the Insidious films is their mythology and the conception of The Further. There should be endless good stories to tell about that, with creativity, pluck and ambition.
Expect to see Insidious 3 in cinemas on April 3rd, 2015.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014