One of the fun things as a writer… and I used the word fun in its most sarcastic sense… is creating sound effects to go with a story. There is nothing like stopping in the middle of a writing flow to try and figure out what the sound of dragon’s claw piercing the shoulder muscle of an armored man might be when spelled out. There is no other form of writing that relies on onomatopoeia like comic books.
This piece is an amazing example of how when used properly the right sound effect could say everything. Its an old story that ran in Mad Magazine #20 by Harvey Kurtzman and Wally Wood. Chris Samnee posted it on his blog and it seemed like a good thing to share.
I think I can run this without the Dan Slott spoiler warnings…
- NFL Post-Mortem: The 2017 Cincinnati Bengals - February 21, 2018
- J.H. Williams and Haden Blackman Reteam for Echo Lands #ImageExpo - February 21, 2018
- Crowded, a Kickstarter for Assassins, Chris Sebela and Ted Brandt’s New Image Series - February 21, 2018
- Image Comics Expo 2018: Rob Guillory to Write and Draw ‘Farmhand’ - February 21, 2018
- Image Expo 2018: Rick Remender Unveils Death and Glory - February 21, 2018