One of the fun things as a writer… and I used the word fun in its most sarcastic sense… is creating sound effects to go with a story. There is nothing like stopping in the middle of a writing flow to try and figure out what the sound of dragon’s claw piercing the shoulder muscle of an armored man might be when spelled out. There is no other form of writing that relies on onomatopoeia like comic books.
This piece is an amazing example of how when used properly the right sound effect could say everything. Its an old story that ran in Mad Magazine #20 by Harvey Kurtzman and Wally Wood. Chris Samnee posted it on his blog and it seemed like a good thing to share.
I think I can run this without the Dan Slott spoiler warnings…
- 5 Things We Want to See in Krypton Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Gotham Season 5, the Final Season - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Black Lightning Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Supergirl Season 4 - June 30, 2018