Who would have thought Robert Rodriguez would be the first to follow in Oprah’s footsteps? But the popular director of fanboy fare is indeed launching his own TV network, and he’ll have a pretty hands-on role over at El Rey. At a press event today (via Coming Soon), he went into more detail about the next original series to hit the channel after the March premiere of From Dusk ‘Til Dawn (based on his film of the same name).
Matador will star airing in July and will follow a character previously described as a “Latino James Bond”:
Irreverent and action-packed, “Matador” chronicles the unlikely rise of Antonio “Matador” Bravo, a popular soccer star, who comes to be known as much for his playboy antics off the field as his dynamic moves on it. But what his fans and family don’t realize is that it’s all a cover–in truth, he is a skilled covert operative executing missions for a little known branch of the CIA. “Matador” has the kind of fame and notoriety that affords him access to powerful circles of corruption and villainy. But, in balancing the dueling roles in which he’s been cast, he will be forced to confront the question of his true identity…and it is this mission which will prove to be his most dangerous.
Also making news today is the fact that Rodriguez will not only produce the series along with superstar producing duo Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, but he’ll also be directing the pilot episode. So there’s something to look forward to after the World Cup.
- Fox Cancels Ancient Egypt Drama Hieroglyph Before It Even Airs - June 30, 2014
- David S. Goyer Developing Horror Novel Snowblind As Miniseries Adaptation - June 30, 2014
- Tom Hardy Joins Leonardo Dicaprio In The Revenant - June 30, 2014
- Bill Hader And Kristen Wiig Are The Skeleton Twins In First Trailer - June 30, 2014
- First Look At Henry Cavill As Clark Kent In Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice - June 30, 2014