The AFP reports on the Batman Of Brazil.
There have been many protests in Rio de Janeiro over communities being destroyed and residents evicted to build stadiums for the upcoming World Cup being held there.
One of the protestors looks a little familiar. A 32-year-old dental technician Eron Morais de Melo who does so by dressing up as Batman.
AFP’s Yasuyoshi Chiba visited one of the shantytown having those who lived there being moved out.
De Melo says he dresses up as Batman because the character is a symbol of the struggle against oppression. He said he thought Brazil is a dictatorship merely posing as a democracy. The Brazilian constitution says housing, education and health are the obligation of the state and the right of the people, and that he will continue to be Batman until people get what they need.
He has been arrested during protests for wearing a mask, under Brazilian law, but had taken to waving his ID around to try and combat that. It didn’t always work and he stopped protesting. People then started protesting that he was no longer protesting.
Demonstrators started holding up signs saying, “Where is Batman?” Now he’s back, and is even appearing at non-political demonstrations such as a “zombie walk”, where people dress up as the undead. He appeared with his fake golden shotgun and acted killing zombies. Now everyone loves his presence.
Apart from those organising the World Cup, of course.
- A Comic Show Post-San Diego… “Some Jackass Who’s Always On Bleeding Cool” – Robert Kirkman - July 25, 2017
- My Conversation with Sonny Liew: The Eisner Winner Behind ‘The Art Of Charlie Chan Hock Chye’ - July 25, 2017
- You’d Have Gotten An Exiles #125 With Marvel Legacy If It Wasn’t for Those Pesky Kids - July 25, 2017
- Jorge Molina And RB Silva Join Charles Soule On Astonishing X-Men? - July 25, 2017
- Hang On, Why Am I Being Asked To Preview Tomorrow’s Pitiful Human Lizard #14? - July 25, 2017