The Daily Mail are saying that Christoph Waltz has shown some interest in playing the villain, one Captain Brand, in the next Pirates of the Caribbean film, Dead Men Tell No Tales.
I know what their source is on this, and I can tell you, the Waltz part is nothing like a done deal. Indeed, I’d call their story hearsay.
The plot details they offer are far more solid, however. Here’s a clipping from their report – with a little spoiler edited out.
Jack and his team are in search of The Trident, which Keith [Richards’] Teague holds valuable information to.
The villain this time is Captain Brand… [he] wants the Trident so he can get his revenge on Jack.
Brand believes Jack turned his brother Eric into a pirate, which led to his death.
I shared lots more Pirates 5 plot teasers a few months back. They all still stand. The Mail even reprise some of them, saying:
Also in Dead Men Tell No Tales, Jack becomes enchanted by Barbosa’s daughter, Carina Smyth.
She’s a beautiful woman in her late 30s who is called a witch by some but is really an adept astronomer.
For what it’s worth, the studio are – or at least have been – interested in Rebecca Hall for the role of Carina. I don’t know if that will come together, but at least it gives you some idea of how they’re thinking of the part.
And… since my last report, I can say that the conception of the “naked witch” character seems to have evolved and they’re now thinking “exotic.” That’s some kind of ethnic categorisation in studio and casting speak. It probably refers to a degree of brownness in the skin, and I think it’s certain to mean “not white.”
Production on this film is set to take place next year for a Summer 2015 release.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014