The New York Times have revealed 2013 World Fantasy Award Winner, G Willow Wilson as the new writer of the new Ms Marvel comic, and that the new character wearing the name of the publisher as a teenage Muslim girl.
She’s also from Jersey. I’m not sure which aspect is going to cause more fuss.
Editors Steve Wacker and Sara Amanat approached Wilson, a female Muslim comic book writer, rather rare in the industry, with the idea of such a character. The new Ms Marvel, Kamala Khan, is an American with Pakistani parents, and a fan of previous Ms. Marvel Carol Danvers, has shape changing abilities.
Kamala will face struggles outside her own head, including conflicts close to home. “Her brother is extremely conservative,” Ms. Amanat said. “Her mom is paranoid that she’s going to touch a boy and get pregnant. Her father wants her to concentrate on her studies and become a doctor.” Next to those challenges, fighting supervillains may be a welcome respite.
The book is drawn by Adrian Alphona…
- Unboxing April 2017’s Loot Crate And Skybound – With Comics From X-Files To Extremity… - April 28, 2017
- Digital Sales Down, Print Sales Up, The Paperback Is Powering Back Up - April 28, 2017
- There Will Be Two America #4 Comics In Comic Stores A Week Of Each Other - April 28, 2017
- Two Iowa Comic Book Stores Close, One Week Of Each Other - April 28, 2017
- Jae Lee And Brian Stelfreeze FOC Covers For Jim Henson And Victor LaValle.. - April 28, 2017