IDW launched a Rocketeer/Spirit series, Pulp Friction earlier this year, by Mark Waid and Paul Smith.The first issue came out in July. The second… at the end of October with new artist Loston Wallace.
So what happened? And what is happening now? IDW told me;
We’re also huge fans of Paul Smith and were ecstatic when he signed on for this series. Unfortunately, Paul wasn’t able to continue on after issue 1, but an artist that he had previously recommended to us, Loston Wallace, helped pick up for Paul with issue 2, and then the final two issues are being done by J. Bone, who has a solid history with both characters. These sorts of things are unfortunate and certainly nothing we intended at the start, but hopefully everyone will agree that the art on all four issues, even though not all by Paul, delivered nicely on Mark Waid’s story. We regret any confusion with the second issue, which was solicited with Paul’s name before the art change was necessitated.
We notified the retail community of the change for #2 and did indeed solicit #3 & 4 with the new artist. We stand behind the series, but any retailer who may have missed the information on the change, or feels they’ve been short-changed in any way, can please feel free to contact Dirk Wood, IDW’s VP of Marketing. Despite the false start, we think the series turned out great, but we always want our retailers to feel good about the IDW product they’re carrying in their stores.
- You’ll Believe Avengers Can Retcon – Avengers #676 and Champions #16 Spoilers - January 17, 2018
- “The Answers They Seek Lie Only With Her” – Shout Sheet for Agents Of SHIELD’s The Last Day - January 17, 2018
- Batman #39, Action Comics #761 And The Temptations Of Wonder Woman (SPOILERS) - January 17, 2018
- Buzz and Pat Broderick, the New Inker Ambassadors for the Inkwell Awards - January 16, 2018
- Old Man Hawkeye #1 and Venom #160 Go to Second Printings - January 16, 2018