You may, like me, own two significantly different versions of Anchorman on DVD or Blu-ray. There’s the original, of course, and then there’s Wake Up Ron Burgundy, a full recut comprised of alternate takes, different jokes and deleted scenes.
It’s like playing DLC levels after you’ve beaten the final boss for the first time – not quite as exciting as the first run through, but certainly something to appreciate having in the tank as back-up.
Director Adam McKay is looking to repeat the trick, and maybe on a grander scale, for the sequel, Anchorman: The Legend Continues. Here’s what he told Empire:
We did so much improv on this one that we can literally replace every single joke in the movie and put in alt scenes and alt improv runs. I think the editor’s working on it right now, with 250 new jokes. I think it would be really funny to put it in theatres for midnight showings.
Alternative versions are very, very possible in this age of digital distribution. Indeed, it’s only a few weeks since the One Direction film was replaced with a different cut part way through its release cycle.
I sincerely expect we’ll be seeing a second Anchorman 2 before the theatrical release window is up. Let’s see if it’s sufficiently funny, or not, before judging this unorthodox scheme, though. I can see a lot of folk rushing to decry the idea as a money grab and, even if that might be right from the studio suit side of things, it won’t matter at all if the film is worth watching.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014