While the official solicitation for All New Marvel Now Point One reads;
• Here we go again! It’s your one-stop entry point to the world of ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW! Loki embarks on a mission for Asgard! The Silver Surfer and Dawn experience the cosmic rays of Nautikos! A Kree Pursuer and her Special Forces team prepare to invade the Earth! The Black Widow goes undercover in Russia! And can even the Indestructible Hulk survive the aid and assistance of fellow Avengers Cannonball and Sunspot?
• Features completely new LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD, SILVER SURFER, BLACK WIDOW, ALL-NEW INVADERS and AVENGERS WORLD lead-in stories!
The one on the Diamond Comic Distributors page has another sentence. For about the next ten minutes until it gets changed.
• Here we go again! It’s your one-stop entry point to the world of ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW! Loki embarks on a mission for Asgard! The Silver Surfer and Dawn experience the cosmic rays of Nautikos! A Kree Pursuer and her Special Forces team prepare to invade the Earth! The Black Widow goes undercover in Russia! Who is the new Ms. Marvel? And can even the Indestructible Hulk survive the aid and assistance of fellow Avengers Cannonball and Sunspot?
• Features completely new LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD, SILVER SURFER, BLACK WIDOW, MS MARVEL, ALL-NEW INVADERS and AVENGERS WORLD lead-in stories!
Which does seem to indicate that the MS teaser is about Ms Marvel. And that she is due to appear in All New Marvel Now Point One #1. And that she is the silhouetted character.
And the silhouetted character does look a lot like Angela. Will Angela be the new Ms Marvel? And considering Bendis is writing her… and the upcoming Guardians Of The Galaxy/All New X-Men crossover The Trial Of Jean Grey… what else is to come?
Mr Dent has a fun theory;
First of all, when the Guardians first encounter Angela, both Tony and Peter comment on how Angela “looks familiar”. That’s odd isn’t it? Why would she look familiar to them? And specifically those two, the two Earthlings…the others don’t comment on recognizing her. So to me, that has to be a hint that she’s a someone they’ve encountered in the past, or Earth characters in general have encountered. From there I started thinking about Heaven and angels, and what exactly they could mean in the Marvel universe. We know in western religions, the concept of “heaven” is a place where people who did good in their lives go when they die, and are in a sense “reborn” as angels. So, applying the rudimentary idea of this concept, I figured Angela could be a Marvel character from the past who died and was “reborn” as an “angel” in “heaven”. I started thinking of some characters who this could be, and I just threw out Jean Grey half-jokingly because she’s the only prominent Marvel character with red hair who I can think of who died. But, then I realized that that could seriously be the case, and not just because Angela is a red head.
I started thinking about how the Guardians will be tying into the All-New X-Men with the Trial of Jean Grey, and how Angela will be on the roster when this happens. Aside from just adding a new member to the team, couldn’t there be some significance behind Bendis wanting to put Angela into his storyline? Especially since Bendis is the one handling young Jean Grey. Also, backtracking to the fact Peter said Angela looked familiar, remember that in issue 5 when the time stream broke that Quill saw visions of his past and future, and one of those images was of him holding a young Jean Grey, which would explain why Angela looked vaguely familiar to him when he met her. As far as we know, Star-Lord has never had any run-ins with Jean Grey…BUT he did see a younger version of her and we saw it happen. I really think Bendis is subtly hinting at this here. It makes complete sense from the viewpoint of how the issue was written as well, as the hint of Peter and Tony recognizing Angela leaves a clear trace for the reader to pick up on in Bendis’s story itself and isn’t just something that you may have to have 10+ years of prior comic knowledge or something to recognize.
Finally, what boosts this even more and was the final knock on the head for me, was that recent “Ms.” teaser Marvel released. Bleeding Cool reported that it was, of course, a new Ms. Marvel title and threw out the possibility of it being Angela and that she would be introduced in the All-New Marvel NOW Point 1 issue. This is supported by the fact that there is a clear silhouette of a character on the cover of that issue that appears very much to be Angela. This of course got people wondering why Marvel would make Angela Ms. Marvel, what would be the point of branding her that, and what connection at all could she possibly have to the title and that it was a stupid move on Marvel’s part to shoehorn that on her. etc etc. BUT, if Angela turns out to be Jean Grey, then it makes perfect sense for her to take on the moniker of Ms. Marvel, because as we all know Jean Grey was Marvel Girl back in the day. A grown up Marvel Girl = Ms. Marvel.
I have no idea if it’s true… but it’s an entertaining theory is it not? Angela, somehow merged with Jean Grey and becoming the new Ms Marvel?
Or, and this is just my own punt, would Angela make a worthy host for The Phoenix?
- Mini-Frankensteining DC Comics Solicitations for February 2019 - November 18, 2018
- Frankensteining Marvel Comics Solicitations for February 2019 - November 18, 2018
- The Daily LITG – 18th November 2018 – Happy Birthday, Alan Moore - November 18, 2018
- Looks Like Leviathan Begins in Action Comics #1007 - November 17, 2018
- Todd Matthy’s Writer’s Commentary on Robots Vs Princesses #3 - November 17, 2018