Lance Armstrong, Amanda Knox, a guy named Brian Nichols you’ve never heard of, and a whale: Real people and real events are getting the big screen treatment in today’s roundup.
• David Oyelowo and Kate Mara will star in kidnapping thriller Captive, which is based on real events. He’ll play Brian Nichols, a pretty bad guy who shoots a bunch of people before taking her hostage in her apartment, but she’ll play an unlikely hero who manages to talk him into letting her escape so she can help the police capture him. [THR]
• Ron Howard’s maritime disaster pic In the Heart of the Sea, based on the real events that became Herman Melville’s Moby Dick, has added its first female cast member in British actress Charlotte Riley. She’ll play the pregnant wife of Chris Hemsworth, who’s tasked with saving the crew of the whaling vessel Essex when it’s struck by a giant sperm whale. [Deadline]
• Broadway vet Cheyenne Jackson is not straying too far from his roots for his starring role in indie drama The Song, in which he plays a man who puts everything on the line in order to enter a songwriting reality show competition. Cooler heads around him like his wife and his baker try to talk him out of it. He should probably listen to them, but then we wouldn’t have a movie, would we? [Deadline]
• Jurassic World has added another kid to potentially but probably not be eaten by dinosaurs, but this seems like a pretty big get for Nick Robinson, who broke out this summer in indie dramedy The Kings of Summer. I had a feeling this kid would start landing big projects soon and it looks like he’s well on his way. He’s joining Bryce Dallas Howard and even kiddier kid actor Ty Simpkins in the film [Variety]
• One Lance Armstrong biopic is pulling ahead of the rest, with Stephen Frears now bringing on board Chris O’Dowd, Jesse Plemons and Guillaume Canet to star opposite Ben Foster as the disgraced cyclist in the untitled film. Sounds like O’Dowd has the second lead as David Walsh, the Times reporter whose dogged pursuit of the truth paid off when he successfully reported Armstrong’s doping. [Variety]
• Kate Beckinsale is joining Michael Winterbottom’s fictionalized Amanda Knox drama The Face of an Angel opposite Daniel Bruhl and model Cara Delevingne. Delevingne plays the murder suspect, Beckinsale a journalist and Bruhl a documentary filmmaker. Production will take place in Italy, where Knox also coincidentally stood trial for the murder of her roommate, was convicted, and then eventually had that conviction overturned. [Deadline]