Benedict Cumberbatch goes into the jungle, two new YA stars are born, and Jason Reitman lines up his next all star cast.
• Jason Reitman’s Labor Day just wowed Telluride and is about to premiere at Toronto but the director is not waiting around. He’s already moving on to his next project, an adaptation of novel Men, Women and Children, about families dealing with their junior high-aged children’s sexual awakening in the internet era. Adam Sandler, Cameron Diaz, Rosemarie DeWitt and Jennifer Garner are eyed to star. Deadline
• So there’s still no official word on whether he’ll be in Star Wars, but Benedict Cumberbatch will be traveling to a
galaxy jungle far, far away. He’s in talks to topline The Lost City of Z, the long-gestating true story of 1920s explorer Percy Fawcett, who vanished in the South American jungles while searching for the lost city of El Dorado. James Gray is directing and Brad Pitt is producing. [Deadline]
• That new Poltergeist remake continues to wrack up a pretty cool cast led by Sam Rockwell and Rosemarie DeWitt. Today Jared Harris and Nicholas Braun are hopping aboard to get haunted by ghosts in the Sam Raimi-produced update of the 1982 classic. [The Wrap / Deadline]
• YA adaptation If I Stay already has Chloe Moretz set to star, and now it’s added British newcomer Jamie Blackley to play her dreamy love interest. Don’t worry, this one – more of a character study of a young girl deciding between life and death after a car accident – probably isn’t hoping to be the next Twilight or The Hunger Games. [Deadline]
• A bit more in that dystopian genre of YA is The Giver, which Jeff Bridges has been trying to adapt for 20 years and which is finally getting underway. Brenton Thwaites has the lead role as Jonah, and now Odeya Rush has joined the cast playing Fiona, Jonah’s best friend. The Lois Lowry book is set in a colorless, calm world where one person is chosen to receive all the highs and lows of human emotion. [Deadline]