For the last few years I’ve stayed up late blogging all of the incoming movie trailers and promos as they premiere during the Superbowl. It’s been fun, and something of a service to those not in the US, too.
Next year and the year after at least, the event is going to be screened on our Channel 4. Unlike the BBC, who held the Superbowl rights in the past, this is a commercial station, so there is now the question of whether movie studios and distributors will play along and give us the same trailers too.
Well, maybe they will. I can’t imagine the Superbowl will be anything like the ratings smash it is in the US but, hey, it’s famous for the special ads, and Channel 4 are good at selling novel media blocks. For example, the first commercial break during the first episode of The Returned was all in French. That’s just one of many twists and tricks they’ve tried over the years.
They certainly like to grab our attention. So don’t be surprised if they try to arrange something special for the Superbowl ads, and I would think that’s likely to include a nod and wink to the US traditions of big, blow-out spends and first look trailers.
Thanks to Broadcast for the channel-change heads up.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014