Earlier this week Spike Lee reached the $1.25 million goal required to make his “newest hottest joint” and in the video to celebrate this news he thanked his backers. And Jesus.
It has not been confirmed yet as to how much Jesus put in the pot.
According to Mars Investigations – who ran the numbers on Lee’s Kickstarter and a number of others – Spike Lee’s project was mostly funded thanks to large contributions.
The average donation according to their calculations was $220.98, more than three times the average donation towards the Veronica Mars Kickstarter. I do wonder if Lee called in quite a few favours in order to get some bigger donations, which does not really seem in keeping with the spirit of Kickstarter. Surely that’s the way to approach a traditionally funded film and not a crowdsourced one.
Lee has revealed a number of details about the film including the following cast and crew choices,
- Stephen Tyrone Williams is the lead male.
- Zaraah Abrahams is the female lead.
- Michael K. Williams has been cast in a supporting role.
- Raphael Saadiq will compose the film’s soundtrack.
Lee also appeared this week on the I’m Ready For My Close-Up Podcast and spoke to Alex Fitch about the film, Kickstarter and Old Boy.
Lee spoke to the plot of the film on the podcast and made it clear that whilst it was about human beings addicted to blood – it says so clearly at the head of his Kickstarter page – it’s not about vampires.
It has nothing to do with vampires. The characters, they get beat and seen in daylight. They don’t have fangs. Human beings have many addictions – drugs, alcohol, sex, money, power, whatever you want to say – so it’s being addicted to stuff; sugar, caffeine, nicotine, all that stuff.
Lee also confirmed that the film will be shot digitally and not on 35mm but that this is down to budgetary restrictions and he prefers shooting on 35mm.
Spike Lee’s Old Boy remake is out in American cinemas on the 27th of November and the UK on the 6th of December. His new addiction feature has yet to get a confirmed release date.
- Now Is The Time To Buy Six Feet Under And Big Love - October 30, 2013
- Evil Dead Remake Writer And Director No Longer Involved In The Sequel - October 30, 2013
- Alternate Poster For Blue Is The Warmest Color - October 29, 2013
- New Trailer For Martin Scorsese’s The Wolf Of Wall Street - October 29, 2013
- London Will Fall In The Sequel To Olympus Has Fallen - October 29, 2013