The mystery is solved.
I was secretly thinking the enigmatic new Bad Robot trailer was for a videogame project they were working up with their new partners at Valve, something to be unveiled at Gamescom this week. But I was wrong.
In a conversation with our very own Patrick Dane, we were just discussing the various upcoming Bad Robot projects that the trailer might have been referring to.
Looking back over coverage of these projects, I found a promotional postcard, snapped and uploaded by The Huffington Post.
It featured text in a very particular font. The exact same font as appears at the end of the trailer.
So now I’m 100% convinced. It’s a trailer for S., a novel by Doug Dorst, devised by JJ Abrams. And yes, it’s a book riddled with Mystery Box thinking as, apparently, parts of the story will be told through 20-odd real world artefacts. Like an epistolary novel that’s been exploded and scattered.
Quite how that will work – or might not work, I suppose – remains to be seen.
S. will be published on October 29th.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014