Though, as far as I can tell, production is yet to start on Timur Bekmambetov‘s killer squirrel film, Squirrels, there’s a trailer already.
I’d guess this was used at Cannes, where I know Bekmambetov was looking to raise funds for the film and eventually got in bed with Red Sea Media. Chances are, he directed this promo himself.
The screenplay for Squirrels has been written by Daniel Antoniazzi and Ben Shiffrin from an original idea by Bekmambetov.
You know, I was thinking of putting both original and idea in quotes there but I thought I’d give the benefit of the doubt.
We don’t have
a director or cast yet but Red Sea have claimed that they’re looking at some A-listers. Which could be fun. I wonder if Samuel L. Jackson’s going to have a role?
Anyway, here we go. Squirrels is coming. Here’s the official blurb:
When a young man’s estranged father is killed under suspicious circumstances, he returns home for the first time in years to get to the bottom of the mystery. Hoping to uncover some logical explanation, he instead finds his mom’s sleazy new boyfriend, a natural gas company buying up the town, an angry female sheriff who happens to be his ex-girlfriend, and an army of flesh-eating squirrels hellbent on destroying everything in their path due to an erosion of their food chain as a result of environmental destruction by the gas company.
Wow – they’re going to blame this on fracking? Topical at least.
UPDATE: Machete‘s Ethan Maniquis is apparently attached to direct, according to Red Sea’s page on the film.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014