That’s the word coming out from Marvel folks, looking at the numbers coming in from Diamond Comic Distributors.
Mighty Avengers #1, the new Avengers title featuring a predominantly black cast, has been heavily under-ordered by comic book retailers in general. Or so they believe. Let’s look at the facts. Marvel tried to push the boat out to help retailers up their orders heavily.
First, it launches as an Infinity book.
Marvel gave retailers 15% discount off their cost of ordering 200% of Age Of Ultron #4, 10% for 175% or 5% of 150% – and making a Skottie Young cover, Blank sketch variants and Mighty Avengers Party variants available to any who did that.
Oh yes, and a Mighty Avengers Party. Look there’s an invite.
A 1:50 Bryan Hitch variant. A 1:25 Lego variant. A 1:100 Sketch Lego variant.
Trading cards too.
And… retailers didn’t bite. The book will sell, more than most, probably. But for those jumping onto Infinity and looking for spinoffs, for those looking for a prominent black superhero team, for those looking to see where a possible Mile Morales might end up in the Marvel Universe, they may well be disappointed…
- Let There Be Light? Tomorrow’s Ultimates 2 #8 Tells The Very Beginning Of The Marvel Multiverse - April 25, 2017
- A Host Of New Comics Announced At C2E2 From Lion Forge - April 25, 2017
- An Unannounced Issue Of Surgeon X To Be Digitally Published Tomorrow, By Sara Kenney And Warren Pleece - April 25, 2017
- Marvel’s Agents Of Hydra Shout Sheets For Fitz And Simmons…. It’s Not Looking Good - April 25, 2017
- How Faith And Ninjak Went To Homecoming Together – Courtesy Of David Lafuente - April 25, 2017