That’s the word coming out from Marvel folks, looking at the numbers coming in from Diamond Comic Distributors.
Mighty Avengers #1, the new Avengers title featuring a predominantly black cast, has been heavily under-ordered by comic book retailers in general. Or so they believe. Let’s look at the facts. Marvel tried to push the boat out to help retailers up their orders heavily.
First, it launches as an Infinity book.
Marvel gave retailers 15% discount off their cost of ordering 200% of Age Of Ultron #4, 10% for 175% or 5% of 150% – and making a Skottie Young cover, Blank sketch variants and Mighty Avengers Party variants available to any who did that.
Oh yes, and a Mighty Avengers Party. Look there’s an invite.
A 1:50 Bryan Hitch variant. A 1:25 Lego variant. A 1:100 Sketch Lego variant.
Trading cards too.
And… retailers didn’t bite. The book will sell, more than most, probably. But for those jumping onto Infinity and looking for spinoffs, for those looking for a prominent black superhero team, for those looking to see where a possible Mile Morales might end up in the Marvel Universe, they may well be disappointed…
- No One Told JH Williams III That Promethea Was Joining the Justice League - January 18, 2018
- Cult Classic: Return to Whisper #1 from Vault Comics Gets a Surprise FOC - January 18, 2018
- Marvel Comics Created Variant of Doctor Strange: Damnation to Be More Bible-Belt-Friendly - January 18, 2018
- BLACK Gets a New Series in April as BLACK [AF] Widows - January 18, 2018
- DC Comics Fixes Justice League International Omnibus Problems (Some Of Them) With Stealth Second Printing - January 18, 2018