Not the biggest number of the day (see our earlier post on the Dark Knight Returns #2 cover for that) , but certainly the biggest surprise of the just-concluded Heritage comic art session — and likely a record for a Dan Clowes piece by a significant margin — is this sale of the cover of Lloyd Llewellyn #3 from 1986 for $47,800.
Is this a single case of two well-heeled bidders fighting it out over a piece they really wanted, or has the art market just (re)discovered the brilliance of Clowes with a vengeance? With a sale of this magnitude, I suspect we’ll find out over the coming months.
And the Heritage Auction blurb:
Dan Clowes Lloyd Llewellyn #3 Cover Original Art (Fantagraphics, 1986). Dan (Eightball, Ghost World) Clowes’ hipster detective is front and center on this wacky cover illustration, which also features several “Big Daddy Roth”-style hot-rodders. Ink and Zipatone shading film on Bristol board, with an approximate image area of 12.5″ x 15″. In Excellent condition. Signed in the lower left corner. Like crazy, man!
- ‘Happy Days’, ‘Joanie Loves Chaci’ Star Erin Moran Dead At 56 - April 22, 2017
- Frank Miller’s Sin City Goes Way Back In Time: Mid-20th Century, And Several Hundred Years Before That - April 22, 2017
- Frank Miller On His Possible Upcoming Superman Project, And The Genesis Of The Batman V Superman Dynamic - April 22, 2017
- Wonder Woman’s Iconic Moment: The Pre-History Of The Character As Revealed In The Wonder Woman Film - April 21, 2017
- IDW C2E2: Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, Walt Simonson, Bernie Wrightson, Star Wars, DuckTales, And Lots Of Other Good Stuff - April 21, 2017