Not the biggest number of the day (see our earlier post on the Dark Knight Returns #2 cover for that) , but certainly the biggest surprise of the just-concluded Heritage comic art session — and likely a record for a Dan Clowes piece by a significant margin — is this sale of the cover of Lloyd Llewellyn #3 from 1986 for $47,800.
Is this a single case of two well-heeled bidders fighting it out over a piece they really wanted, or has the art market just (re)discovered the brilliance of Clowes with a vengeance? With a sale of this magnitude, I suspect we’ll find out over the coming months.
And the Heritage Auction blurb:
Dan Clowes Lloyd Llewellyn #3 Cover Original Art (Fantagraphics, 1986). Dan (Eightball, Ghost World) Clowes’ hipster detective is front and center on this wacky cover illustration, which also features several “Big Daddy Roth”-style hot-rodders. Ink and Zipatone shading film on Bristol board, with an approximate image area of 12.5″ x 15″. In Excellent condition. Signed in the lower left corner. Like crazy, man!
- Starting Today: CGC Insider – Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Comic Book Grading, And More - January 19, 2017
- The Rock Talks #BlackAdam And The Entire DCU: “Hope, Optimism & FUN… Prepare Yourselves DC Universe” - January 11, 2017
- Alien: Covenant Short Teaser Starts Unwrapping Your Christmas Present A Day Early - December 24, 2016
- Milwaukee Bucks Owner Marc Lasry Sells Wonder Woman #1 CGC 9.0 ‘Solicitation Copy’ For Record $291,100 - December 14, 2016
- Transformers: The Last Knight Poster – What… Has Happened To Bumblebee? - December 13, 2016