By Rich Johnston.
It’s true. You won’t have seen my name or that of Bleeding Cool’s on the nomination, but I won it all the same. Or co-won. Or I was part of an ensemble. Or I held on to someone else’s coat tails.
But two San Diego Comic Cons ago, I met Mike Richardson in the line at Ralph’s corner store, he asked me to pitch him a comic and by the end of the line, he’d agreed to publish The Many Murders Of Miss Cranbourne in Dark Horse Presents.
Which won the Eisner last night for Best Anthology.
It was a really good show, by the way folks. Snappy, speedy, no longer a need for an interval, and with the likes of Chip Kidd turning his Building Stories acceptance speeches for Chris Ware into an account of an encounter with a Spartan cosplayer with abs like a xylophone into a running affair through the night. And, of course, that kiss…
It was just a shame that DC Comics and Marvel chose to host their parties on the same time as the awards. So there was no Bob Wayne, Joe Quesada, Dan DiDio, Axel Alonso, Bob Harras, Bobbie Chase, Tom Brevoort and the like in attendance, so we had to make to with Spike and Commander Adama instead. But it was a good show. The Eisners have had a reputation amongst some for being dull and ponderous. But last night was breezy, fun and celebratory. And more comics publishers and their creators should have been there, instead of being tempted away by their corporate owners.
And okay, so I didn’t actually walk home with an Eisner. But I did get this handed to me…I do hope Customs don’t consider it a weapon.
- A Comic Show Post-San Diego… “Some Jackass Who’s Always On Bleeding Cool” – Robert Kirkman - July 25, 2017
- My Conversation with Sonny Liew: The Eisner Winner Behind ‘The Art Of Charlie Chan Hock Chye’ - July 25, 2017
- You’d Have Gotten An Exiles #125 With Marvel Legacy If It Wasn’t for Those Pesky Kids - July 25, 2017
- Jorge Molina And RB Silva Join Charles Soule On Astonishing X-Men? - July 25, 2017
- Hang On, Why Am I Being Asked To Preview Tomorrow’s Pitiful Human Lizard #14? - July 25, 2017