Nominees for the Shel Dorf Award are now being accepted. In their fourth year and hosted by the Detroit Fanfare, the awards are focused on honoring the best and brightest talent from a fan perspective.
The award is named after former letterer and co-founder of the San Diego Comic-con Shel Dorf. A native of Detroit Michigan, Dorf studied at the Chicago Institute of Art before moving on to New York to begin a freelance career in commercial design. He worked many times with Jack Kirby but is best known for his dozen or so year run lettering the Steve Canyon comic strip. In 1970 Dorf moved to San Diego, after having worked conventions in Detroit, and decided to do a one day show as a dry run with Forest J. Ackerman as the main draw. In August of that same year, Dorf put on a three-day show at the U.S. Grant Hotel. It would grow into the San Diego Comic-Con that we have now.
Last years winners include: Scott Snyder for Writer Of The Year, Greg Capullo for Artist Of The Year, Batman: Earth One for Graphic Novel Of The Year and our own Rich Johnston for Comic Blogger Of The Year.
You can submit your nominees at their website. You have to give your name, email address and then verify your email to make sure its only one vote per person (or email address). All the submissions will be counted and then a small list of name for each category will be created and voted on separately. It does not say on the site how long the nominees are being accepted for, but it does appear that you need to nominate to be asked back to vote.
- Exclusive First Look at the Dynamite Hardened Heroes Titles Shipping in April 2018 - January 22, 2018
- Red Sonja: Hyrkania’s Legacy Cooperative Adventure Game Coming in April - January 22, 2018
- Black Lightning Season 1: Marvin ‘Krondon’ Jones III Talks Tobias Whale - January 22, 2018
- Exclusive First Look at the Women of Dynamite Titles Shipping April 2018 - January 22, 2018
- Marvel’s Inhumans Fans Create Petition to Save the Series - January 22, 2018