Hollywood has mined Asian cinema for years for films to remake but every now again that pattern is reversed. The 2011 Chinese remake of What Women Want starring Andy Lau and Gong Li was a recent notable example, albeit one that didn’t really work out too well. Hopefully this latest attempt will pan out a little better.
Yurusarezaru mono is a remake of Clint Eastwood’s Unforgiven and stars Ken Watanabe in the lead role. Sang-il Lee is in the directing chair and whilst he doesn’t have a great deal of well known work behind him his 2010 film Villain was quite remarkable and has a good number of fans amongst us who saw it.
There’s certainly a lot of familiar visual choices there that evoke Westerns, although perhaps more spaghetti westerns than Unforgiven. The poster at the head of this post is all Unforgiven though.
It’ll be interesting to see when the film comes out how much Lee has drawn on Unforgiven, how much from other sources and how much is all his own.
I’m impatient so I won’t be waiting for a UK distributor, unless they’re one of the good guys that don’t dawdle, and will be importing this one as soon as I can.
- Now Is The Time To Buy Six Feet Under And Big Love - October 30, 2013
- Evil Dead Remake Writer And Director No Longer Involved In The Sequel - October 30, 2013
- Alternate Poster For Blue Is The Warmest Color - October 29, 2013
- New Trailer For Martin Scorsese’s The Wolf Of Wall Street - October 29, 2013
- London Will Fall In The Sequel To Olympus Has Fallen - October 29, 2013