I already danced around anything like “spoilers” when describing Stephen Frears‘ new film Philomena, just ahead of it going into production.
This afternoon, we’ve been sent the first image from the film, and I suppose I better get my dancing shoes on again.
The image at the head of this post shows Judi Dench in the title role and Steve Coogan as Marin Sixsmith, the sometime Labour government advisor turned journalist, and in this case, no pun intended, pretty much a detective.
Don’t expect grimy pulp fiction style detection, this is more the shocking, upsetting true story sort of thing, an indictment of corruption and the unravelling of a tragedy.
Sixsmith said, of his original book, that the story is:
a Hardyesque tale of coincidences and missed connections, and a powerful indictment of two historical eras: 1950s Ireland and 1980s America.
Stephen Frears is a consistently interesting filmmaker, and this time he has a powerful story and sterling cast.
Philomena will be released in the UK and Ireland on November 1st. I’m looking forward to it very much.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014