World War Z’s second-unit director Simon Crane and 28 Weeks Later‘s Juan Carlos Fresnadillo are the top candidates to direct the upcoming Hot Wheels film, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Whilst Crane has one of the best blockbuster CVs you could ask for, he has yet to make the leap to first unit directing.
Fresnadillo, on the other hand, started with some critical acclaim from his Spanish film Intacto, and he didn’t do too badly with the sequel 28 Weeks Later. Unfortunately though, he’s since become more of a director for hire.
And if you’re feeling superstitious, consider that Fresnadillo may be a bad omen. He was attached to both The Crow and Bioshock adaptations, and couldn’t see either of those through to the screen.
The threat of a Hot Wheels movie has been hovering over Hollywood since 2003 in fact, but it’s never quite taken form – even before the Fresnadillo jinx. So why not?
Well, at least Legendary Pictures now have a concrete idea of what the film will be about, with Art Marcum and Matt Holloway‘s script apparently proving more Mission Impossible than Fast and Furious.
And that’s more of what I’d want, at least. There’s only so many fast cars driving furiously I can handle.
A decision on who will direct is to be made in the coming weeks, after both candidates make a series of presentations. I’d like to think they’ll act out action scenes on the table with real Hot Wheels cars, making engine noises as they do so.
- Final Fantasy XV Preview – What Four Hours With The Title Told Us - August 16, 2016
- PAX South 2016: Deckbound Unbound: The Evolution of the TCG - February 2, 2016
- Call of Duty: Blacks Op 3 Has Sold Better Than The Last Two Games In The Franchise - November 11, 2015
- The Nathan Drake Collection Was The Best Selling Digital PS4 Game In October - November 11, 2015
- This War of Mine Hits Smartphones Today - November 11, 2015